Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Flux

I have had trouble making art for a long time. It started when my parents died within 3 month of each other, my mother in October 2007 and my dad in January 2008.  In 2010 we found out my aunt was having trouble physically and cognitively which led to my brother and me applying to be her guardians.


"Muzzled" printing ink on Yupo 2015


Except for some public art, I pretty much stopped painting. I sketched sometimes, wrote, and played with illustration but I didn't paint. I'm not sure why I stopped. I blamed it on being too busy, too tired, having an out-of-control studio. I also developed severe anxiety about many things. After doing everything that needed to be done, I just wanted to read or watch TV.


"Cocktails" printing ink on Yupo 2015

I also don't know why I am working again. It probably was a variety of reasons. I have been meeting with the Portrait group weekly for a year.  In September my aunt died. Both my cat and dog are elderly and have developed chronic diseases; they won't be here as long as I expected.



Once Upon a Time printing ink on Yupo 2015

My role as caregiver is drawing to an end. Things are in flux. Something has shifted and I am painting and printmaking. It feels strange but good, like finding my way back to where I used to live after a long journey away.