Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Portrait Group

Peggy


Recently two artists friends and I have been meeting and drawing each other. We've been wanting to put together a show but while Peggy Murphy and Cynthia Yatchman have work that has commonalities, my work doesn't quite fit.  I wondered if we choose the same genre we would achieve bodies of work that would complement each other. 


Cynthia


It's an intriguing process trying to capture someone's likeness and I am consistently successful with my drawings of Cynthia but Peggy eludes me. These are fairly quick studies. We each sit for 20-25 minutes.

So far I've only done the drawings and haven't moved on to paintings. I am still having trouble painting, partly due to the complete mess of the studio and partly due to anxiety.

It is completely ironic that I, who hated and feared drawing when I first started art school, feel more comfortable with it than any other artistic expression.